There is an immediate need for a Craftsman with experience in Finishing Carpentry, Millwork and Trim and Cabinet Installation and Flooring skills at Y & G Construction Inc. in Ajax, Ontario. If you’re someone with a passion for meticulous craftsmanship and finishing details, using a variety of carpenter tools, and an overall knack for delivering consistent quality in your workmanship, then this position is for you.
Y&G Construction Group is a trusted Ajax construction company and is currently in its 18th year of business specializing in both fine home building and home renovations working primarily in the Durham Region of Ontario. Because of the expertise of our team, we are unique and are able to provide one-stop solutions for our clients from concept to design to build.
This is your opportunity to join a construction company with a solid team that works very well together and has solid organized structures in place. Y & G Construction have a design office, showroom and warehouse. You will be part of a growing team and evolving company.
An individual who loves to work with their hands and use a variety of finishing tools and jigs; a stickler for doing things correctly and love to make things happen. You have an eye for excellence, accuracy, and you understand that your work affects the safety and livelihood of those working around you and the satisfaction of our Clients. You thrive in this physically demanding role. You have an affinity for using a variety of woodworking and carpentry tools. You are an organized individual who is passionate about safety and appreciate fine workmanship.
The Finish Carpenter’s focus is primarily on the interior’s building envelop; cabinetry, millwork and trim, flooring.
While the primary role includes all the elements of residential construction projects, there are additional functions that are essential to one’s performance and deliverables in this role.
- Preparatory project planning activities including, job and material requirement planning, project site preparation, tool selection and staging, loading and wrap up of building tools and materials; site maintenance and cleanup
- Residential renovation projects including; kitchen cabinet installations, millwork and trim, crown molding, interior door installation, flooring, framing of walls and load bearing walls
Other Duties include;
- Framing and sheathing of interior and exterior walls
- Exterior window and door installation
- Drywall Boarding
- Tile flooring
- Participation in other aspects of the finishing work as required
- Participating in tilework, painting.
- Cribbing the footings and assembly of the ICF system
- Pouring of concrete footings, foundation walls, floors and any other structural concrete
PHSYICAL & TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to perform physical labour such as: lifting and carrying heavy items, ie. wood; rebar, doors, windows, cabinets and other building materials;
- Ability to work at times in various weather conditions/climates;
- Skillful use of carpentry tools, including measuring devices, power tools (router, table and compound mitre saws); hand tools, laser levels and transits and other required equipment;
- Awareness and knowledge of relevant building rules associated with Part 9 and 11 of the Ontario Building Code;
- Ability to read blueprints, understand and execute from working drawings;
- Knowledge of precise measuring techniques and mathematics to ensure all necessary pieces are the required size and properly fit together;
- Must be comfortable working at heights; must have a valid Ministry of Labour Working at Heights Certification;
- Flexibility to work an assortment of shifts and hours on occasion;
- Ability and flexibility to travel throughout Ontario at times with a possibility of an overnight stay;
- Must have own transportation and a valid G driver’s license;
- Must have a clean driver abstract (proof required from MTO).
PERSONAL TOOLS REQUIRED:
- Tool bag and pouch, hand tools;
- Power tools, cordless drill, impact gun, circular saw (as a minimum);
- CSA Approved Safety Boots;
- CSA and Ministry of Labour approved safety hard hat (valid not expired)
- Must wear properly fitted attire and weather appropriate clothing when required for extreme weather conditions (hot, cold and wet conditions). Please ensure you are dressed to accommodate various types of weather within the days’ shift.
WORK HOURS AND TOUR OF DUTY:
- Our organization is concerned with safety first for our employees so your schedule may vary based on weather conditions and work program. If a day is missed due to weather shutdown, project rescheduling, material delays, COVID-19, every opportunity to make up the loss hours will be reviewed, however no guarantee can be given to recoup the lost hours.
- On occasion we occasionally have an opportunity to work weekend days, acceptance is on a voluntary basis;
- Y & G Construction values families and for that matter we are a Monday to Friday structured organization. However in emergency situations you may be required to work after hours or on a Saturday and/or a Sunday.
We thank all applications who apply, however only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
***If you require any accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know and we’ll endeavor to put reasonable provisions into place.***