Senior Construction Safety Officer – Talent Pool (Competition #CAP002A)
Employee Status: Regular
Bargaining Unit: Non-Union
Pay Range: $83,638 – $114,790
Location: 10 Bay Street, Toronto
Closing Date: 18-Jul-2021
.This talent pool will be used to fill permanent full-time positions.
Metrolinx is connecting communities across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Metrolinx operates GO Transit and UP Express, as well as the PRESTO fare payment system. We are also building new and improved rapid transit, including GO Expansion, Light Rail Transit routes, and major expansions to Toronto’s subway system, to get people where they need to go, better, faster and easier. Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
We embody our values in everything that we do. We Serve with Passion, Think Forward, and Play as a Team. If you can relate, we want to hear from you!
The Capital Projects Group Health & Safety Office is seeking various Senior Construction Safety Officers to support construction safety compliance and assurance activities for Capital infrastructure projects. The role includes the performance of compliance audits and inspections of construction site activities, providing safety leadership, providing safety recommendations and guidance in the review of safety submittals such as work plans, risk assessment, and working with project delivery teams in closing out remedial actions as a result of site engagement activities and incident investigations.
What will I be doing?
- Provides safety related requirements into contract documents during project development and corporate procurements; directs, coordinates, and performs construction management activities on major expansions and new, replacement, or enhanced infrastructure projects.
- Leads and performs reviews of construction related work plans and safety submittals provided by contractors to ensure compliance with relevant OHSA legislation and contract requirements • In collaboration with the Integrated Project Team, reviews, analyzes, and outlines construction activities and work areas to determine work priorities / coordination of projects and ensure safe and efficient program delivery
- Represents Metrolinx in the review and formal auditing of safe work practices to ensure compliance with the relevant OHSA legislation and contract requirements; works to protect general corporate liability, exposure of the public to risks/hazards, and against impact to operations.
- Reviews and resolves potential significant safety compliance issues with construction contractors and escalates high profile/complex matters/issues to the Manager
- Evaluates vendor safety performance and provides statistical information as input to safety performance analytics
- Provides input into improvements to Capital Project Group’s (CPG) construction health and safety plan working in collaboration with the Central CPG Health and Safety Support Team. • Provides advice, expertise, and recommendations to the Manager on construction safety plans, programs, policy, compliance, investigation results, and issues management
- Provides supervision and technical direction to safety consultants, Construction Safety Officers and other personnel assigned to construction projects
What skills & qualifications do I need?
- Completion of a degree in Safety, Engineering, Architecture, or related discipline, or a combination of education, training and experience deemed equivalent.
- Minimum eight (8) years progressive experience transit infrastructure planning, design, construction, construction supervision, construction safety, and administration of transit facilities and infrastructure
- National Construction Safety Officer (NCSO) designation is an asset.
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP), Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Construction Health and Safety Technician (CHST) designation is an asset
- Must be able to obtain qualifications in Canadian Rail Operating Rules (CROR) • A valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s license is required.
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Certified Engineering Technologies (C.E.T.) designation is an asset
- Knowledge of the interpretation and application of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and construction site and safety coordination best practices, procedures, processes and related legislation and regulations of complex infrastructure projects
- Skills to interpret construction drawings, contract documents, and construction standards and procedures
- Supervisory principles and practices to provide leadership, supervision, direction, influence and motivation to Construction Safety Officers and construction/safety contractors
- Analytical and problem solving skills to examine incidents and problems, detect root causes, and resolve issues
- Interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills to lead consultations and negotiate/resolve issues
- Shift work including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays may be required. Subject to being called-in during emergencies and to conduct accident investigations
- Works outdoors at locations throughout the Metrolinx network, in all types of weather conditions and at all times of the day or night
- Frequent exposure to properly controlled hazards and required to wear / use personal protective equipment
Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Metrolinx will be using email to communicate with you for all job competitions. It is your responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence, we recommend that you check your email regularly. If no response is received, we will assume you are no longer interested in pursuing the opportunity. Please be advised that a Criminal Record Check may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume online through the Current Opportunities page
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER