Senior Accident Investigator (Competition #CON003F)Employee Status:
$82,810 – $111,447
277 Front Street, Toronto
Metrolinx is connecting communities across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Metrolinx operates GO Transit and UP Express, as well as the PRESTO fare payment system. We are also building new and improved rapid transit, including GO Expansion, Light Rail Transit routes, and major expansions to Toronto’s subway system, to get people where they need to go, better, faster and easier. Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
We embody our values in everything that we do. We Serve with Passion, Think Forward, and Play as a Team. If you can relate, we want to hear from you!
Our Safety Standards and Assurance team within our Safety Division is seeking (3) Senior Accident Investigator to manage and lead investigations into accidents and incidents involving safety-related events, including deploying to the site (as necessary), gathering evidence, conducting tests, performing detailed analysis, preparing the safety investigation report, and making recommendations for corrective actions to improve safety.
What will I be doing?
– Manages and leads the incident investigation team, including technical experts and internal and external stakeholders through Metrolinx’s comprehensive and standardized investigation methodology.
– Establishes the scope and focus of the incident investigation and develops work plans outlining activities and timelines for the completion of each phase of the investigation process.
– Leads the information collection activities and ensures that all relevant evidence is captured and assembled.
– Performs analysis of the factual information and related evidence to identify safety deficiencies and unsafe conditions.
– Determines the causes and contributing factors of the incident being investigated to ensure that safety actions are identified and implemented to improve safety.
– Prepares clear and accurate investigation reports, presenting the findings and compelling argument for the implementation of safety actions.
– Communicates investigation findings and recommendations to stakeholders in a timely manner to ensure that necessary actions are implemented and safety deficiencies are addressed.
– Formulates corrective action plans and recommendations (as required) to be implemented by the business units in order to improve operational safety.
– Meets with senior management to provide regular updates on the status, schedule and resourcing of incident investigations, while ensuring that the investigations are completed in a timely and quality manner.
What skills & qualifications do I need?
– Completion of a degree in Safety, Engineering, Human Factor or a related discipline – or a combination of education, training, and experience deemed equivalent
– Minimum six (6) years of experience in safety planning, operational risk assessment, human factors, regulatory compliance and/or accident investigation within the transportation field
– Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) or Certified Safety Professional (CSP) designation is an asset.
– Able to analyze accident information and organize the information into a logical factual and analytical summary
– Able to build effective working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders.
– Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage projects and priorities to a high standard.
– Knowledge and/or experience with human factors would be an asset.
– Knowledge and/or experience in accident investigation practices, procedures, methodologies and techniques would be an asset.
– Facilitation skills to conduct meetings and workshops to inform and/or influence internal and external stakeholders with respect to safety action required.
– Strong interpersonal and presentation skills to effectively communicate safety issues and the required safety actions.
– Strong written communication skills to prepare high-level briefing notes and detailed technical reports relating to an incident investigation.
– How many years’ experience do you have in accident investigations and analysing accident information into a logical factual and analytical summary?
Unusual Working Conditions:
May be required to deploy to an accident site with possible exposure to disagreeable and/or difficult working conditions.
Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume online through the Current Opportunities page (i https://metrolinx.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=CON003F&lang=en).
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Metrolinx will be using email to communicate with you for all job competitions. It is your responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence, we recommend that you check your email regularly. If no response is received, we will assume you are no longer interested in pursuing the opportunity. Please be advised that a Criminal Record Check may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER